Hawaii is a place known for diversity and inclusivity, principles which resonate with Aqua-Aston Hospitality. At the heart of our Corporate Social Responsibility program are the principles of Tolerance, Equality and Diversity (TED). We believe it’s important for us as a business to create the space where everyone can learn, grow and flourish together, from celebrating the accomplishments of Hawaii’s leadership to cultivating new growth within the next generation of leadership. We’ve implemented many practices to reduce our environmental impact, and we’ve also partnered with leaders in Hawaii’s sustainability, because we believe our responsibility extends beyond our front doors. Growing our diverse community, encouraging discussion about sustainable practices in tourism, and knowledge sharing amongst Hawaii’s leadership is critical not only for our personal growth, but for our collective growth and success.
Aqua-Aston’s TED initiative is a clear articulation of the way we have operated for a number of years by supporting non-profits, causes and organizations that promote these ideals in our community. We want the world to know that Aqua-Aston welcomes diverse travelers from all around the globe.
We stand for travel.
For learning new things.
And experiencing new cultures.
We believe in Tolerance, and its siblings Empowerment and Equality.
In Diversity we trust.
We stand for women’s rights, minority rights and religious rights, too.
And we believe love really does make the world go ‘round.
We have faith in humanity.
We believe in taking vacations that are as relaxing as they are enlightening.
We believe #LoveWins every time.
We believe that every day is a beautiful day for tolerance.
That we should respect others as much as we respect ourselves.
And we pledge allegiance to one nation indivisible, with equal opportunities for all.
We believe in sustainability, renewability and viability.
All hail the reduced, the reused and the recycled.
And have never met a race, gender, orientation or creed we didn’t like.
We believe in an open heart as well as an open mind.
And we believe Aloha isn’t just a greeting, it’s a state of mind.
We are Aqua-Aston Hospitality and we stand with you.
Program Overview: Tolerance, Equality, and Diversity (TED) Initiatives
We recognize our opportunity to make a significant difference in our community and world.
We celebrate Hawaii’s culture through support of programs and events that highlight Hawaiian history, unique sense of acceptance, and the fusion of diverse peoples.
- We advocate for cultural understanding and the environment by supporting the Hokulea Polynesian Voyaging Society, the Bishop Museum, and Hui o Ko`olaupoko a 501(c)3 non-profit watershed management group
- We promote the understanding of cultural and socio-economic issues by supporting the East-West Center
- We celebrate Hawaii’s culture through sponsorships of the King Kamehameha Celebration Floral Parade and the annual Aloha Festivals
- We support arts and culture in Hawaii through sponsorships of the Honolulu International Film Festival and the Honolulu Museum of Art
We are a Long-Time Supporter of the LGBT Community
- We are a member of the International Gay and Lesbian Travel Association (IGLTA)
- We’re approved by the Travel Advocacy Group (TAG), which recognizes hotels with LGBT-friendly policies and services
- We have created a culture of inclusivity across our entire organization through LGBT sensitivity training
- In 2015, we hosted Hawaii’s first LGBT Tourism & Hospitality Symposium
- We regularly host LGBT Hawaii-focused webinars with travel agents throughout the U.S.
- We contribute to the Gay Pride Festival, the Rainbow Film Festival, Equality Hawaii, GLAAD, and more
- We regularly sponsor the annual Hawaii Conference on LGBT Tourism & Hospitality
We support opportunities for all in the workplace by investing in women’s professional development
- We encourage recognition of our team with women’s specific career awards. For example, Elizabeth Churchill, Chief Revenue Officer, was honored by Hawaii Business as one of the “20 For The Next 20” Hawaii’s People to Watch. She was also honored by Pacific Business News in 2013 as one of the “Women to Watch,” and in 2016 as an “Industry Leader,” in its annual Women Who Mean Business awards.
- We are a sponsor of the annual Hawaii Business Magazine Wahine (Women’s) Forum
Program Overview: Environmental Sustainability Initiatives
We are committed to the environment and reef-safe practices.
- We partner with the Waikiki Aquarium, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the Bishop Museum, and other programs in support of ocean health
- Our environmental initiatives include a ‘reef safe’ sunblock campaign to protect Hawaii’s coral from bleaching:
- Funding for Waikiki ‘reef protocol’ signage (how not to harm the reef)
- Funding for the Waikiki Aquarium’s coral propagation project
- Supporting the Waikiki Aquarium’s distinguished lecture series by bringing a coral reef expert to talk about the dangers posed by certain sunblock ingredients in 2017
- Leveraging partner relationships to raise broader awareness for this initiative beyond Hawaii
- Installation of trade-in receptacles and reef-safe sunblock dispensers at key hotels by the beach in Waikiki
- Property-specific greening initiatives including certifications around energy, water and waste. Currently Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki, Aqua Palms Waikiki, Volcano House and Aqua Kauai Beach Resort have already been recognized with the Governor’s Green Business Awards.